Free Inspection 24/7

Can you get sick from mold in your house in Los Angeles?

Professionals doing their job

Mold itself is not dangerous or toxic, although there are some types of mold that produce toxic mycotoxins, such as black mold. For most people, however, it is the mold allergy or sensitivity that leads to uncomfortable symptoms. Fortunately, these go away once the mold is removed.

It’s common for people to be allergic to mold, although reactions vary from mold to mold and person to person. If you have a mold allergy, you will start reacting as soon as you are exposed to the mold. People experiencing an allergic reaction may display any of the following symptoms:

What are the symptoms of mold exposure?

  • Watery, itchy, or red eyes
  • Wheezing, sneezing or coughing
  • Runny nose
  • Skin rash

In some cases, the symptoms may be more severe. Indoor mold exposure has been linked with:

  • Upper respiratory tract issues, coughing, and wheezing in otherwise healthy people
  • Asthma attacks in people with asthma
  • Hypersensitivity pneumonitis in people with compromised immune systems.

A mold allergy can go from uncomfortable to dangerous for people with an already compromised immune system, such as infants and children, the elderly, and those with chronic lung disease, HIV, cancer, or liver disease.

Currently, Indoor mold exposure may be a risk factor for asthma in young children, but more research needs to be conducted for confirmation. Likewise, research is still inconclusive as to a possible link between black mold and acute idiopathic pulmonary hemorrhage among infants and memory loss.

Because reactions can vary, and there’s no way to predict your reaction, it’s best to avoid mold growth in your bedroom and to treat it as soon as it is found.

In Tip Top Restoration we have experienced professionals who are ready to assist you with immediate mold removal and follow-up home restoration and refurbishment to bring you back the safety and comfort of your property. Book a timely and efficient service on our 24/7 phone line.


Share this post