How to Get Rid of Black Mold Using Household Bleach
Getting rid of black mold using bleach is almost 100% effective on non-porous hard surfaces. Bleach is readily available in the market and is another way of getting rid of mold in a very inexpensive way. However, like ammonia, bleach can take time to reach the root level of the mold in porous surfaces such as cement block, wood, and tile grout.
The primary cleaning ingredient of bleach which is chlorine does not reach the roots of mold but does a good job in cleaning small mold removal tasks. Never mix beach with ammonia as it can generate toxic fumes or vapors. Also, do not mix vinegar with bleach. Combining them will not give you a better mold removal cleaning solution.
How to Use Bleach in Removing Black Mold
Wear appropriate personal protective equipment such as gloves and respirator. Just like when using ammonia, open all nearby windows and doors to make sure vapors or fumes dissipate easily. Note that bleach is recommended for small mold removal tasks only.
- Combine 1 gallon of water with 1 cup of bleach and mix thoroughly.
- Using a spray bottle, apply the cleaning solution onto the affected area evenly. You can also use a sponge to wipe the cleaning solution to stained areas. If necessary, use a bristled brush to scrub the surface and wipe it away using a disposable damp cloth.
- Never rinse the affected area. Allow the cleaning solution to sit for a while to disinfect the surface and prevent further mold growth.
Getting Rid of Mold Using Grapefruit Seed Extract
Using grape fruit seed extract to remove black mold is proven effective. It is a non-toxic and natural way to remove mold at home. Its application deodorizes and disinfects mold affected areas and is safe for pets and children.
However, unlike bleach and ammonia, using grape fruit seed extract can cost you a bit more. Although expensive, it has longer shelf life if you keep the kid of its container air-tight. When your done with small mold cleaning project, just put your spray bottled labeled and safely stored for future use.
How to Use Grape Fruit Seed Extract in Removing Black Mold
- Mix 10 drops of grape fruit seed extract oil with the same number cups of water. To be exact, one drop of oil with one tablespoon of water. You can make the solution stronger by adding more drops of oil.
- Using a spray bottle, apply the solution onto the affected surfaces and let it sit for about 10 minutes.
- Brush the mold and wipe away the remaining dirt.
- Never rinse the surface and apply more solution if necessary.
- The grape fruit extract acid will continue to sink onto the mold root levels and prevent mold from coming back.
Borax, hydrogen peroxide, and baking soda are other natural black mold cleaning solutions you can use for small mold removal jobs. However, when you know that the infestation is too large for you to tackle, make sure to call professional mold removal contractors to get the job done for you. Tip Top Restoration is the best option for you. We are here to help you 24/7. Although you will incur the service cost, it is the best way to make sure that the mold and its harmful health effects are removed. Also, it saves you time and money from buying these solutions as well as doing the job on your own.